Sunday, April 3, 2016

Bass fishin'.....

Lake Okeechobee is apparently famous for bass fishing, as we found ourselves immersed in some real (reel?) down home Americana......a bass fishing tournament.  I've never seen so much money invested in fishing boats and fishing poles!  (Well, except for Hawaii.  And Ory Gone.  And every other deep sea fishing place I've been, but, I digress.)

To many to count bass fishing boats on the lake, and when we got into the marina there was a judging booth set up with 105 boats entered in the fishing tournament.  Judging started at 3, and at 250 a solid lineup of boats started coming in.  A sight to behold.  I don't think you've really seen 'Merica until you've been to a bass fishing tournament.  But that's just me.

Spent the day prepping to leave tomorrow.  Not sure how far we're gonna get due to construction and closures at the Ortuna Lock, so, if you wanna know how far we go tomorrow you better check back then!




Cosmic Mariner safely at the docks....Protected by pelicans.....


Never seen so many bass boats in all my born days!



Kids, remember:  always chew your food!


Fishing tournament judging booth.  All we need is fish.




Judging starts in five minutes, and here they come!


Reel (real) serious business here.


Champeens of the world!  Or at least of Lake Okeechobee today.


I thought it was a big crowd, but it was my first fishing tournament.



Fish back in the boat and back to the lake.  This is a catch and release tournament.  Note the fire rescue boat on standby.



Because it was catch and release, we had to have some boring smoked salmon sushi.


Then this big bully of a boat came up and splashed lake water on our boat.  I wonder if Charles Atlas sells exercise equipment for boats?

No comments:

Post a Comment